Sunday, December 14, 2014

One of the many joys of insomnia

Infomercials!  I swear there is nothing on TV late nights on Saturdays and Sundays.  Infomercials provide the bulk of my entertainment.  That and  cooking shows.  But last night I had a genuine trip down memory lane with a commercial for the Best of the Carol Burnett Show.  I was a big fan when I was growing up and would be on my best behavior Monday nights so I could stay up late and watch her show.  Grandma Dorothy and I would sit in the library and laugh our collective asses off.  But then the magic happened...Tim Conway was added as a regular. Carol was a brilliant comedienne but it was Conway who put the twinkle in my eye.  Every week it was a waiting game to see when he would ad lib some schtick that would absolutely break Harvey Korman up.  The classic of then all, relived this morning, was Conway as the dentist and Korman as his patient.   You know the one I am referencing.   I think that bit went on for twenty minutes, but in reality is was less then a ten minute bit, available on You Tube as Conway added layer upon layer of comedic business and Korman turning various shades of red as he tried to stifle his laughter.  I think the kicker ws when Conway accidentally injected Novocaine into his hand and while reading a textbook laying on Korman's chest, used the numbed hand to kill a fly.

I was so enthralled I almost plopped down the $100 for twenty five classic episodes.  But then I remembered somewhere in the deep dark recesses of my mind that they were going to release the whole of the shows from her variety show.  God knows how much that would run but better that than missing one of Conway's bits.

In addition to Conway, I did have a warm spot for Ms. Burnett.  Often wishing that she were my real mother and that the rest of my family had perished in a fiery explosion.  She is a great comedienne, who did a nice turn on a Law and Order SVU episode a few years ago.  But her dramatic turns weren't as impressive to me a were her turns as Scarlett O'Hara, wearing a curtain for a dress, replete with curtain rod.  Or the various skits that were take offs on Sunset Boulevard.  Yep.


Here's the link now: Tim Conway Dentist

So, that's what I get for not sleeping last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment