Friday, June 13, 2014

Quote du jour


John Donne

“Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.”


― John Donne

One of my friends from work recently lost her husband and I immediately thought of this quote.  And Dear Hyphen reminds me CONSTANTLY how short life is and how we are nearing the end of a journey.  This  reminds me that humans are the only animals that actual realize that they will die one day.  This should remind us how precious life is, yet at times I get so depressed I think about the ultimate way out.  What better way to have some control over the unforeseen.  And I think I am dealing with some depression right now.  The trivia of every day seems so, well, trivial.  So mundane.  Reminds me of a Robbie Fulks' song about his steel headed father, the last line of which I shall paraphrase:  in a couple of hundred years would it really matter?




No comments:

Post a Comment