Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Trying to reclaim my academic musical chops

Alright, for a more classical approach to my day thus far you'll have to click the link.  All I will tell you is:

Maria Callas

Probably the most moving rendition I have heard.  Her voice is so pure and even years after her death still resonates with me.

Speaking of years after death, here at MSU in the Plant Biology Conservatory we have a Corpse Flower in bloom, a flower whose fragrance is reminiscent of decomposing flesh.  Hence, its apt popular name.  Locals are probably sick of hearing about it, but there is an hour and half wait to see and smell the flower.  Of course we are in the midst of an annual event, Grandparents University, and that might explain some of the wait.  Here is a photo of the flower in bloom for those of you unable to come to MSU to see and smell it in person.  Life goes on, even if it stinks of death.


No comments:

Post a Comment