Saturday, July 19, 2014

A visit to Horrock's

After getting a hair cut followed by a slight nap, not of my own doing, Gastric picked me up for an afternoon of errant errands and an unexpected trip to one of my favorite "produce stands", Horrock's.  A produce stand beyond all belief. I dropped in excess of $100 on healthy stuff, including food for Donna and the Donnettes, ten pounds of corn.  I got some corn for me, too, as I have a lovely recipe for roasting corn in the oven and until we get the good local sweet corn, those small white kernels that pop off the ear, roasting is my preferred method.  And, oh my, cippolini onions, cubanelle peppers, two kinds of eggplant, cucumbers, tomatoes that actually smell like tomatoes, Vidalia onions, and fresh herbs. I went berserk.  And then, with all this wonderful food in the house I went out to dinner with Brody's Mom.  She had crab legs to eat for the first time and while the crab was flying we got to gabbing and gab we did until almost 9:00, when we hastily exited the restaurant and hit a craft store to get some items for her impeding baby shower for the equally impeding birth of her grandson.  Got home late and fell into a deep sleep.

Today, ah, today, some of they lovely food will get cooked for a gourmand feast for me.  Roasted eggplant tossed with farfalle, grape tomatoes, garlic, feta and kalamata olives, tossed with olive oil and fresh lemons.  I do love to cook.  And ere know I live by myself I do eat well.  And the summer season is the best for doing some really fresh cooking.  I have some lovely shiitake mushrooms that should sauté up nicely paired with a ribeye steak and fingerling potatoes.  And then there is Therapy Mondays and the resumption of the fetal position.  But this weekend we dine!  I think for lunch I will make a small frittata.  So much to do, so little time.

Time to pay attention to cats.




No comments:

Post a Comment